Hosted by The North of England Orchid Society
May 30th and 31st 2020 - (setup 29th).
- Venue - Southport Theatre & Conference Centre
- Position - Lakeside Promenade Southport
- Attached to the Ramada Plaza hotel (now part of Bliss Hotels)
- Within 10 minute walk of most hotels & B & B's
- Parking area next to the Halls or within 5 minute walk
The Orchid Show is open to the public* 10.00am to 4.00pm each day on the 30th and 31st May 2020
With UK and overseas orchid traders and nurseries selling their plants direct to the public the admission charge of £5.00. (accompanied children free) is well worth the visit, you will be able to buy orchids you would normally not see in the shops, garden centres or supermarkets, there are over 35000 species of orchids in the world, and over 400,000 hybrids so you are bound to be captivated by a flowering plant you probably have not encountered before..... beware orchids are addictive!
In addition to the trade stands there will be many other displays you can admire, mounted by some of the leading orchid societies in the UK - and of course all the advice you need on how to grow orchids successfully whether on the windowsill conservatory or greenhouse.
The show is hosted by in conjunction with The British Orchid Council, and the North of England Orchid Society, the latter is the oldest orchid society in the world, this year we celebrate our 123rd year of growing and showing orchid around Manchester and the North West of England each month. we have members from all walks or life, some with one or two orchids others with many hundreds and we always welcome new members...... visit our website at http://orchid.org.uk
Introduction to Southport
Southport is only 18 miles north of Liverpool and is where you will find glorious sandy beaches, a panoramic seafront and a Victorian pier.
Described as sophisticated, cosmopolitan and vibrant, Southport is the perfect place to enjoy a traditional British seaside conference, but with all the modern amenities you would expect.
Nestled along one of the most beautiful coastlines in Europe, Southport can provide an ethos of classical elegance. Over a mile of cast iron and glass Victorian canopied walkways and award-winning gardens creates the internationally recognised Lord Street, is famous for its shopping. The leafy boulevard with its glass-canopied shops, trendy cafes and stunning Wayfarers Arcade, make it one of the Northwest's leading shopping destinations. which provides a truly unique leisure experience.
Marine Lake, is the largest man-made leisure lake in the U.K Nearby is the largest area of unspoiled dunes and pinewoods in the UK where you will find one of the few remaining red squirrel colonies.
Southport has over 200 restaurants in the resort, each providing something ‘that little bit different’ for all manner of tastes and budget. Combine this with a buoyant vibrant nightlife then you are beginning to understand why Southport has earned the reputation of one of the most attractive cultural destinations in night-time economy.
In addition, delegates can enjoy internationally recognised Golf Courses including Royal Birkdale, Hillside and Hesketh Golf Clubs. In just a short thirty minute drive, there are a further five Open qualifying courses.
For those golfers who do not want the infinite challenge of an Open course there are over 100 courses (both links and parkland) within a short drive of the resort.
Southport is proud to be an integral part of what is now recognised as England’s Golf Coast.
Southport has truly bucked the national trend of resort decline benefiting from over £100 million in capital investment over the past five years. This investment has created a ‘success breeds success’ approach to both its residents and its business sector partners, which is why the resort is continuing with its development programme.
Some of the developments that have already taken place include;
• Ocean Plaza, a £60 million private development which houses a multi-screen cinema, bowling alley, a lodge hotel, eateries and several nationally branded shopping outlets
• Southport Theatre and Convention Centre - a £40 million redevelopment of including an additional 1,000 Square metres of Exhibition Space which is directly linked to the 133 room Ramada Plaza 4-star hotel and fantastic public realm areas. Home to....
THE BRITISH ORCHID CONGRESS 2020
Which will be held in The Ballroom of the Waterfront Complex – part of the Convention Centre development which includes a Casino and restaurants whilst closeby is the....
• Dunes - a ‘state of the art’ health and fitness centre.
• The Atkinson - £20 million Cultural Centre.
PLACES TO VISIT.
• Churchtown – medieval village that appeared in the Domesday Book. Village Tours can be arranged or plenty to do on a free afternoon including two public houses (listed buildings), an ancient church and burial ground, Botanic Gardens, Meols Hall Stately Home, cafés & restaurants, quaint shops and dozens of thatched cottages.
• Squirrels at Formby Point Nature Reserve - Enjoy a stroll around the peaceful pine woodlands and look out for the endangered red squirrel. The woods here are one of seventeen red squirrel reserves in northern England; the reds are attracted by the large numbers of conifers, as they feed on the ripe pine cones.
• Martin Mere WWT - Wilderness and family-friendliness combine at Martin Mere Wetland Centre.
There are dozens of hotels to suit all pockets & Bed and Breakfast's within a 10 minute walk of the venue click the info button for more information.
About the Congress
Click the Info button for full details of the two days activities, Dinner, Preview Buffet talks and how to register
Southport is well served by Road, Public Transport or Air and the Railway station is about a 10 minute walk away from the venue -Taxi services are cheap - click the info button to learn more.